Meaning of Health Education:
Health Education is concerned with promoting health as well as reducing behavior induced diseases. In other words health education is concerned with establishing or inducing changes
in personal and groups attitudes and behavior that promote healthier living.
Definitions of Health Education:
Health education as the sum of experiences, which favorably influence habits attitudes and
knowledge relating o the individual community and social health.
Health education like general education is concerned with changes in knowledge, feelings and
behaviour of people. In its most usual form it concentrates on developing such health practices as are believed to bring about the best possible state of well being.
–W.H.O technical Report (1954)
Aims of Health Education:
The following are the some of the main aims of health education:
a. To provide information about health and its value as community asset – Health education aims at acquainting the etchers with the rules of health and hygiene. Functioning of
Precautionary measures to ward off diseases and to provide good disease free working conditions.
b. To maintain norms of good health: The authorities should provide hygienic environment in the form of adequate ventilation proper temperature, good sanitation and all round cleanliness. It helps the authorities to keep certain norms of health.
c. To take precautionary and preventive measures against communicable diseases. Its aim is
to take adequate precautions against contamination and spread of diseases. Thus good sanitary arrangements are made. Precautionary and preventive measures. If they are properly adopted can help in improving the health standards of society.
d. To render assistance to the school going children an understanding of the nature and purpose of health services and facilities – It aims at discovering physical defects and other
abnormalities in the child and promoting their reduction if they are easily curable.
e. To develop and promote mental and emotional health – Mental and emotional health are also equally important along with physical health. While physically health makes a pupil
physically fit mental and emotional health enables him to maintain an even temper and a happy disposition.
f. To develop a sense of civic responsibility. School is a miniature society Responsibility of skill health does not lie on any one’s shoulders. Even some cause of skill health has their origin in social conditions which require action on the part of community as a whole in order to eradicate them. It aims at realizing the people to make combined efforts and work for community health.
Objectives of health Education:
The following are the comprehensive list of functional objectives of health education to be adopted in schools.
1. To enable the students to develop a scientific point of view of health with reference to traditional and modern concept of health.
2. To enable the students to identify health problems and understand their own role on health and to medical agencies in meeting those problems.
3. To enable the student to take interest in current events related to health.
4. To enable the students to arrive at suitable conclusions based on scientific knowledge and
take action as an individual member of the family and community for protecting maintaining and promoting individual and community health.
5. To enable the students to set an example of desirable health behaviour.
6. To enable the student to understand the causes of the pollution of air water, soil and food as well as their ways and means of prevention.
7. To enable the students to gain sufficient knowledge of first aid.
8. To provide desirable knowledge about marriage sex and family planning to the students.
9. To help students to understand the importance of Physical training sports, games, yogic exercises as well as their relationship with health education programme.
10. The emphasize students on the bad effects of smoking and taking alcohol etc.
11. The acquaint students with the functioning of various organizations working for the maintenance of health.
12. To help students understand how the present day rapid development of science and technology as increased the hazards of life and health problems and also how to face and
Importance of Health Education:
“This atma is not attainable by a week man.” –Swami Vivekananda
“The first wealth is health.” – Emerson
If health is so precious asset then education of health is indeed, more important. Health education
helps us in following ways:
1. Health education provides information to the students and the teachers about the function of
the body the rule of health and hygiene and precautionary measures for keeping of diseases.
2. Health education helps in discovering physical defects of children and discovering various
types of abnormalities of children.
3. Health education develops health habits like need of fresh air, hygienic feeding and various class room habits.
4. Health education provided knowledge regarding good health habits.
5. Health education develops better human relations between school home community.
6. Health education provides knowledge regarding prevention and control of various diseases.
7. Health education proving first aid training essential for everyone a emergency may come to
any one and at anytime.