Meaning of Perspective Planning:
Perspective planning is also known as Strategic Planning or Long-term Planning. The term ‘Perspective’ means viewpoint or outlook about the scenario of education system.
Perspective planning is also termed as ‘strategic’ because a strategy is designed to accomplish the objectives of the educational institution in this type of planning. Generally the term ‘strategic’ means management of army before war. A special and systematic technique is used in
this type of planning. Again, the planning is also known as long-term planning for the reason that
from educational point of view, this planning determines future course of action or foresight education system for a long term. The long-term planning may be done for almost 15-20 years.
In the following, characteristics of perspective planning are stated. Let us read these characteristics so that a clear picture about the concept of perspective planning can be acquired.
1) The perspective planning is holistic. It includes all levels of education from pre-primary stage to higher stage and all types of education-formal and non-formal.
2) This planning is prepared for 10 -20 years. But, it is also separated between sub-sector plans which range from 3-5 years. These sub-sector plans are periodically reviewed.
3) It is related with future trends. It is a long term planning.
4) It is a dynamic continuous process. This planning is a never ending process.
5) This Planning is based on teamwork, vision of the institution, creativity and commitment
6) It is systematic in nature. This plan is prepared sequentially.
7) Perspective planning depends on the changing environmental circumstances.
Hence, it can be summarized that perspective planning is an innovative, continuous, future oriented and holistic plan of education system or of an educational institution which is
executed periodically for a range of 3-5 years.
Objectives of Perspective Planning:
Perspective planning is done with some objectives which are as follows-
(i) The primary objective of perspective planning is to forecast the vision of the future. It aims to achieve future direction through separate and interrelated sub-sector of the
(ii) To improve the management of educational institution and the teaching-learning
process take place in the institution.
Importance of Perspective Planning:
The importance of Perspective Planning is specialized below:
1. Perspective planning is action oriented. It is implemented systematically. The plan is
monitored and evaluated after its implementation. The functions are reviewed in each step for
2. Perspective planning has created a sense of belonging and ownership of the vision among people of the institution. All human resource is involved in this planning process.
3. Perspective or strategic planning process gives teachers, students and other people an opportunity to make choices for development of the institution through a balanced decision-making.
4. Perspective planning gives importance on outcomes. So, this planning helps to equal
the needs and resources of the institution.
Steps in Perspective Planning:
The Steps of Perspective Planning are elaborated below sequentially:
1. Guidelines for Setting Organizational Objectives:
In the beginning of a perspective planning, objective of the plan are set out. We have known that financial, material or human resources are implemented in an educational institution. Realistic and flexible objectives are determined to improve the institution in desired direction
through this planning. Here, the term flexible objectives means the objectives should be changeable according to the environment. Objectives should be challenging, attainable, specific, measurable, time bound and relevant.
2. Benefits of Objectives:
Objectives are the base of the strategic plan. It leads to mutual work in the institution. The objectives make the people accountable and motivated towards the work. The wastage time
can be saved. All actions are systematically arranged and a fruitful outcome can be expected.
3. Formulation of Strategies:
The strategy for strategic plan is formulated keeping view on goals and objectives, mission and vision of the organization.
4. Strategic Implementation:
Strategic implementation is a process where the management of an institution implements the designed strategic plan. All people involved in the plan should give proper attention on its action and dedicated to functions with effort. Physical and human resources are utilized at best.
Data should be adequate, updated and accurate. Objectives and strategies should be arranged in logical order.
5. Monitoring and Evaluation of Strategies: The strategies, tactics, and action programs are periodically judged, monitored and evaluated to review the desired outcome of long term planning. Thus, future decisions and actions can be improved. Feedback on data helps to know the strengths and weaknesses of a programme and to determine the extent to hoe far they achieve the objectives of the plan.
6. Review of Strategic Plan:
The strategic plan is assessed to make necessary changes for the education system and to adjust its course based on these evaluations.
7. Outcomes: At last, the desired outcome is found out to cope the satisfaction and meet the expectation of the institution.