Educational Management is an applied branch of Management like other branch of Management i.e Commercial management, Industrial Management, Financial Management etc. Unlike other branch of Management, Educational Management operates in educational organizations. So Educational Management is that branch of management which applies the theories and principles of management in the field of education. To organise an educational organisation, three resources are very much essential i.e Physical resources – land or site, school building, equipments, library, laboratory etc, Human resources – teacher, students and non-teaching staff etc, Curriculum and Co-Curricular Activities. Educational Management is
the process of managing these resources to achieve the desired goals of educational organisation.
According to G.Terry Page and J.B. Thomas, “Educational Management is the theory and practice of the organisation and administration of existing educational establishments and systems.”
Nature of Educational Management
The nature or characteristics of management can be discussed are as follows:
1. Educational Management is Universal Process:
Educational Management is a universal process. It is related to each and every country, society, organisation etc. The need of management can be arise in every field of Commercial, War, Religion, Human Relation etc.
2. Educational Management is an art: According to koontz, management has been accepted as an art as in management things are got done through others. Therefore, in management, not only one has to
learn the principles of management but also the manager has the qualities of sympathy, patience, good manner, experience, behavioural skills etc.
3. Educational Management is a social science: Educational Management is a social science because it also collects data by using the methods observation, experimentation, explanation etc. Like Political science, Economics, Sociology etc.
4. Educational Management is a profession: Educational Management can also be regarded as a profession. Because in each and every profession, to manage the activities effectively, he should have some particular qualities like, preparation, behavioural skill, patience etc.
5. Educational Management is a Multidisciplinary subject:
Management is also a multidisciplinary subject. Because the principles, concept and
skill which are involves in management are also related to Economics, Mathematics,
Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology etc.
6. Educational Management is a dynamic process: Educational Management can be considered as a continuous or dynamic process because the principles of management are changeable as change in time. Every field i.e industry, education etc are changing from time to time in respect of new policy, new action. So the process of management is dynamic.
7. Educational Management is Goal- Oriented: Each and every function of management is Goal-Oriented. Effective management is guided by specific objectives. Educational Management is a process of planning, organising, directing and providing instruction to achieve any goals. The chief objective of management is to achieve the predetermined goals. So according to Sherlekar and Sherlekar, “Anything without management is nothing.”
8. Educational Management is a Group Activity: Educational Management is a group activity as it involves a group of individuals to
achieve common goals. It helps the members of the organisation to know the aims & objectives of organisation and also directs them to achieve those goals.
9. Educational Management is a social process: It is a social process as it gives more importance on social benefit and responsibilities.
Scope of Educational Management
Scope of Educational Management indicates the different aspects related to educational management which can be discussed are as follows:
1) Providing Human Resources:
One of the important aspects of the scope of educational management is to providing human resources in educational institution. The different types of human resources are teachers, students, and staff. Moreover, parents and other person who are related to the educational organisation are also come under human resources. Providing, co-ordinating and practicing these resources to educational organisation are the scope of educational management.
2) Providing Material Resources:
The another important aspects of scope of educational management is to providing material resources i.e. land or site, building, classroom, equipments, teaching aids, library, laboratory, museum etc in educational institution.
3) Construction of curriculum:
Construction of curriculum on the basis of the interest, needs and capacity is another aspect of scope of educational management.
4) Organisation of co-curricular activities: To achieve the major goal of education i.e. all round development of personality,
there is a need of organisation of co-curricular activities which can help to develop the child physically, mentally, spiritually, intellectually, morally. Organisations of co-curricular activities for educational organisation are one of the important aspects of scope of educational management.
5) Preparation of Time table:
Preparation of Time table for example preparation of daily class work of the teacher,determining the time table for co-curricular activities, determining the academic calendar for educational organisation is another important aspect of scope of educational management.
6) Maintaining Discipline:
For effective management of an educational organisation maintaining discipline is another important aspect of scope of educational management.
7) Organisation of Hostel, staff quarter etc: Organisation of hostel and also staff quarter for the teachers is another important scope of educational management.
8) Budgeting and Financing:
To manage an educational institution preparing a budget for expenditure in the establishment of Building, Auditorium, Library, Laboratory, Equipments etc and also management of fund for these are also the important area of educational management.
To achieve the goal of education, evaluation of the different planning of educational management are also important areas of educational management.
Co –ordination among the different resources of an educational organisation is another scope of educational management.